Sunday, 4 September 2011

By popular demand...

I was tempted to post yet another pic of myself sitting at my computer, but I thought, enough is enough. Just how much of my fine features can the public stand? So I spared you…

Have you noticed how the seasons are shifting? It would seem so. Here, autumn began in mid August, with golden leaves strewn all over the central reservation of the local dual-carriageway. It's turned chilly too, as evidenced first thing in the morning, with condensation on the car window. At this rate we'll be having Spring at Christmas and winter in high-summer. Maybe the earth is turning over slowly, till eventually we'll be in the Southern Hemisphere. I wonder if that will affect a change in our spoken English too? Oh well, no worries, mate!

I've got 12 days holidays left. Those are work days, so effectively, I could have one vacation 16 days long (12 days plus two weekends) or, two 8 day holidays(6 days plus a weekend). I realise I could have several odd days off here and there, in the run up to Christmas, but that's not me. I guess I'm a, "let's experience life in big chunks" kind of man. Give me big chunks every time, something to grab hold of, you know what I mean? Hands up all those who agree!

The big question is, where to go? For a while now I've toyed with the idea of a local visit, somewhere in the UK, and in particular, the Yorkshire Dales or the Moors. I quite fancy the idea of renting a cottage in splendid isolation (the isolation that comes with free wi-fi internet of course). But then, I've the opportunity of staying at my mate's house in Brussels (that's the Brussels of Belgium fame, of strong beer, and senseless nights of over-indulgence - if you're a Brit!). I'm not sure though. He has a family, and as lovely as they are, I fear I'll have a nervous breakdown after a week of playing punch-bag and climbing frame for the kids.

I could do a "biggie", a journey to the far-east for instance, maybe taking in a series of exotic places on a fortnight cruise, but for the moment, I'm all cruised-out. I've done three big-ship cruises in two years, and now I've decided, as plush and luxuriant as they are, it's all too regimented. I'm in need of something less planned. Of course, there is the cliched, "Back-packing in Thailand", but then I'd prefer that with a companion, and at such short-notice, there are non-available. So what to do? Methinks I'll leave it percolating on the back-burner of my mind for a while.

Final word. I was saddened to hear the other week, the word "goloptious" meaning, "delightful", has been eliminated from the Concise Oxford English Dictionary, due to lack of use. I'm urging you all - yes, every damn one of you - to keep it alive. I'll expect to see it thriving soon.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Hey.. a bus.. er post! That's just goloptitious.. um, is that the word? Well whatever the word is.

Funny.. it's just got real warm here, making up for much of August.. just a bit, that's if it lasts longer than 2 days, but we'll see.

Speaking of words and dictionaries, I can't but bring up the old chestnut we like to bang on about, that is the word verification word, and how so many of them seem like, actual words, and how much fun it is to figure out a meaning for them..

the one I got now is yessist.. kinda funny but not so much of a challenge to come up with a meaning.. I mean, it would have to be something particularly agreeable.. imho.

Sari said...

I totally agree with big chunks. Especially when they come as pineapple. And with cottage cheese, of course.

The Dales or the North Yorkshire Moors are a very good idea. I recommend. It's goloptious out there!

Ronald said...

Michelle, I like that, a "yessist", a person who can't say no. I used to pray for girls like that when I was younger, but now I steer well clear. I mean, where's the challenge?

Ronald said...

Sari, for a skinny so and so, you're obsessed with food, are you not?

Sari said...

Hehe, yes I'm obsessed with food. Or rather obsessed with avoiding it.