Monday, 7 February 2011

In the interim perid, you get this...

When sitting at my computer to perform my daily ritual tasks of emailing, post writing, and blog surfing, I sit in silence. And though high-speed Internet allows me to stream music and video, I choose not to. Sometimes this fact misleads people into thinking I am not a music lover; but they are wrong. The reason for doing so is simple.

For me, music is primarily for listening to, and not  a background "commentary", a stream to dip into when I shift focus away from the particular task in hand. It's a totality, a complete work. Indeed, I've yet to hear a piece of music or a song that's been deliberately punctuated with pauses long enough to accommodate conversations, tea-making, or the taking of a crap; which for me, hints at the composers or Artistes intentions and expectations - they want their music to be taken seriously! So if I decide to listen, I make special time for it, and do not take kindly to interruptions. Music-while-I-work is out.

Interrupt me at your peril if I'm listening to Ella.

7 comments:

Sari said...

I totally agree with you. Music should be in the foreground, not in the background. Ironing, however, is the one job that must be interfered with either music or crap TV. It isn't really fair on the music though, but takes my mind off the ironing.

PAMO said...

So many artists say they listen to music while they paint or draw or whatever. I was even encouraged by a teacher to do so while drawing. But I can not.

I can not split my attention from the music to my other creative task. Now then, we must not speak of this again.

Michelle said...

I personally like noise in the background.. sometimes, it can be music or just anything, but not too loud, if I'm trying to do something... some people like putting on their music as loud as they can at any time... even when you're trying to talk which I fidd a bit odd...

leoni said...

I too either LISTEN to music, or work in silence. Some of my best evenings are spent in darkness, sitting next to the hi-fi, listing to Pink Floyd or Mozart or Mike Oldfield. It doesn't get better than that :)

Ronald said...

Sari I have to agree, ironing is a special case. I've been known to self-mutilate just to break the tedium of ironing a shirt.

PAMO I've tried, but the music always draws me in to the exclusion of the task in hand.

Michelle People are odd! :-)

Leoni I get your point, but it does get better. Try Arch Enemy or Beethoven :-)

Maundering mutterer said...

I don't do background music much, but it does work in restaurants! I mean - do you really want to hear the other diners chewing?

Ronald said...

MM That's true. It also covers up distrubing kitchen chatter such as, "Who's false teeth are these in the soup pan?", or "Use the water from the mop-bucket, they'll never know!".