Wednesday, 12 January 2011

Light banter

Annus Horribilis. Sounds awful, doesn't it? Like some festering blight of the back-passage? Well it's not. For the benefit of those not clued-up on Latin, it means, "Horrible Year"; a phrase intended to be the title of my magnum opus (for last year anyway), a summation of the 12 or so months recently passed. A horrid time. A time of unspeakable, barely bloggable events. A living horror. Apart, of course, from the four holidays: three cruises and sojourn into the Emerald Isle. But still, a veritable nightmare. Though in fairness, those moments of joy, of pure escapism - when watching films and reading books for instance - should be excluded, along with the jollity and hilarity of the office-banter, and those brief, but meditative moments spent on the daily train journey into work (oh how I love travelling). But apart from these, it's been hell, it really has... I mean... well... sorry, but I just can't talk about it.

Fiat Lux
. Or, as they say around these parts, "Let there be light". I say this apropos of nothing, other than to operate on the age-old writer's maxim, "when you've nothing to say, bung in a few foreign phrases for effect!". So, wihout further ado, I shall carpe diem and move forth... and talking of light, I've navigated this winter so far without the usual woe-is-me I'm depressed grumblings; though, in my defence, I beleive I'm a victim of that pernicious affliction, Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD); which is why I've purchased a SAD light. I wont bore you with the technical details (mainly because I don't know them) but I'll guess and say, it provides a light of the requisite brightness, akin to that of bright daylight, thus increasing serotonin levels in the nervous system. Result: a measure of well-being. So it's not unusual to see me tapping away at me laptop in the glare of this white light, at something around regulo 7(180C), and basting myself with thoughts of... well never you mind.. seems to work. And besides, it could be worse, I could live in Finland, land of the sunless days, polar bears, wolverines, and kangaroos... no, that can't be right... aren't polar bears from the Antarctic?


We've had an unusual amount of snow recently. I've always thought, "there's nothing like a bit of snow to make you think!". And it's true. It snowed, and would you believe... I actually thought! No sooner had it laid itself in pristine crystalline form only to begin thawing, when an idea came into my mind, it said... nay... it shouted, "Entropy!" Referring to that Universal movement of all things from order to disorder. This snow, thought I, represents the whole of the cosmos in microcosm, the inexorable move towards chaos (for an alternative metaphor, think of the annual Office Party, how it begins as opposed to its end). S'true. Though there might be an exception. Looking at mother confirms the hypothesis. In extreme old-age she's been entropolized real good: from a glowing, poised youth, she's now shrivelled, stooped and enfeebled, but...despite this fact, it's important to her to ensure the rubbish is put out in time for the bin-men. The idea itself, though seeded an age ago, remains intact. It's impervious to the degradation of her body and Universal laws, and I'm sure, even on her death-bed she'll hoarsely whisper, "have you put the bag out?". I like this idea. I like to think for a brief period at least, we're able to cock a snook at the Universe, to waggle our willies at it, metaphorically speaking, and cry, "FUCK YOU ENTROPY!"

Bwanas knockers*


* Buenas noches (Spanish) meaning, good night.

12 comments:

PAMO said...

YOUR BAAAAAACCCCKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Loved EVERY word of it! Still laughing. YOUR BACK!!!!!
Now, I must take out the trash. :-))

Sari said...

There was me thinking that the light fantastic around you was due to your near angelic appearance or your elevated status into divinity but now you’re telling that it’s a damn lamp! Sheesh.

Michelle said...

c'est la vie..

or as I like to say.. life is hard. Well.. I don't believe that's a direct translation but who cares, the point is it's french and it sounds clever.

Where was I. Oh yeah.. good to hear from you, it's always good to get a dose o the wisdom curtesy of the fruit bat, life just isn't as deep an important seeming without it, so for that I thank you..

well.. I hope this year is better, even if last year, wasn't so bad after all, which I sorta suspect.. but either way, che sera, sera..

*starts singing and stuff*

Can you believe that my word verification is "horabil"?

Random stuff is so ironic and stuff sometimes.

PAMO said...

I just saw my comment in my email and realize I misspelled "you're". It's from all the withdrawal symptoms since you've been gone.

Ronald said...

PAMO Yes, I thought I'd come back with a laugh. It sure beats self-pity.

I was horrified to see your typo too, but I didn't like to say. Grin.

Michele Yo dudette! Thanks for the warm welcome and the laugh too. Your *starts....* comments always make me chuckle. Thanks :-)

SARI I am divine, 'onestly, me mom said so! :-)

Maundering mutterer said...

'Now is the winter of our discontent' or something like that.

Hoping that 2011 is annus betterus for you.

Jealous of your holidays basking about on boats, you baskard! Of course holidays are just interludes, so I understand that overall it might have been beastly.

Entropy? It's everywhere - nothing like a bit of chaos to keep us on our toes.

Ronald said...

MM Holidays as interludes to the main event of "life", eh? Cant' say I agree with that but it's interesting food for thought. If you choose to think that way, I guess you can conceive of any event or events in your life as "time out" from the "serious stuff". My point in the post (which probably failed to impress) is that we are more than prone to selectively choose memories to serve ourselves best, that is, how we currently feel. If I'm self-pitying now, then I can easily see the past as nothing but a series of misfortunes (the o woe is me syndrome). But this isn't objectively true, not for the majority of us. Life consists of countless shades of light and dark. Fuck.. I could have used this as a post! Oh well, thanks for the inspiration anyway.

Maundering mutterer said...

Apologies: I was referring to your several 'holiday's of a lifetime' in 2010 and how, despite these, it was 'annus horribalus'. I suppose that holidays are only a small percentage of one's time, but that it depends on the holiday as well as what one returns to!

Maundering mutterer said...

Eeeek! A grocer's apostrophe! Forgive!

Sari said...

Gulo gulo. I bet you think it's a greeting, like nanu nanu. It isn't, it means Wolverine (in Latin, not in Finnish). Wolverines are great. They are like Tasmanian devils of the north. Can you believe this? Couple of days ago a hunting party somewhere in Finland was tracking a lynx and their dog followed a trail to a tree. The hunters saw something up there and one of them shot it. Down came a very dead wolverine, instead of a lynx. It’s like mistaking a white cat for a black dog. The hunter must have been drunk out of his mind. Wolverine is a protected animal in this country, there’s only about 150 of them altogether. The hunter will face a fine of anywhere from e8.000 to e16.000. Needless to say, the lynx got away. I was reminded of all this today as I was looking at a stuffed wolverine in the library :)

Do you remember the nanu nanu handshake? Can you do it? With both hands?

Ronald said...

MM I feel your pain and shame. Hugs :-)

Sari Erm... yes... well... nicely continued from my post. I thought "Wolverine" was an application for woolen garments to prevent them from fluffing-up with use :-)

Sari said...

Funnily enough, they do use NANO technology to treat wool but I've not heard of them using wolverine technology. Silly really. But if ever you need any useless information, I'm your man :)