Thursday, 4 November 2010

Night fever

Don't you just hate those nights when, after sleeping deeply for four or five hours, you awaken suddenly, beset by that old existential angst? When that daytime conscious cohesion, holding together all those strands that together constitute your self, is caught unawares, leaving you prey to the horror of self-dissolution? Tsk! Tell me about it! Ooh, it's a bugger! And it's particularly horrific when it manifests itself as a thought inchoate, a primal ill-formed phantom, avoiding recognition yet strangely palpable, lurking in the periphery of your mind; watching. With stomach tightening and breath shortening, your pulse quickens and pounds loudly in your ears, making it a devil of a job to get back to sleep; so there's nothing else for it but to get out of bed and brew a nice strong cup of tea. That usually does the trick!

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Yes.

Michelle said...

What I mean is, yes, I experience something similar, at least I think I do, every so often. I never tried the tea so I wouldn't know about that.

Sari said...

Can't say I've ever had one of those but it sounds nasty. Good that tea works for you.

Ronald said...

Michelle and Sari A little artistic licence was at play here :-)

PAMO said...

Beautifully written. You are a talent with words.
Now I think I'll go refresh my tea.

Maundering mutterer said...

I dreamed about going for a ride on a crocodile and dressed like a ball. Does that count?

Ronald said...

PAMO Thanks for your kind words.

MM Sorry, that certainly doesn't count. That's pleasure. Why, I dream of dreaming I'm riding a crocodile dressed as a ball! :-)