Tuesday, 16 November 2010

The Imp

Deep inside the self an idea lies,
Submerged it goes unseen, yet holds sway
In subtle and insidious ways
Throughout our lives.

It softly whispers ruinous chatter
of lack of worth, and worse
It tells how undeserving we are of love,
Yet on these wily words we shape our lives.

And then, a time arrives when someone
Shows a path, not known till then,
Of Trust and Care, and takes us where
We’ve never trod before.

But in the face of such elation, this idea cannot survive.
And so it strives to wreck the joining, wresting from us
Our control, instead inflicting accusation,
Spreading discontent until, it takes its toll -

And in its victory-roll that evil elf
Has shown again our worthless self.

9 comments:

Sari said...

Nice. I wish I could say something smart about it but I can't. I have a request though. Do you ever write Lear type nonsense rhymes? My pea brain understands them much better.

Ronald said...

Sari It's okay not to understand the outpourings of my addled brain. As for nonsense verse, maybe I should give it a try. Thanks.

Ronald said...

I really ought to have worked on this a little more, but what the heck, I'm not looking for prizes! :-)

Maundering mutterer said...

Well! You wrestle words into shape around and idea quite beautifully.

PAMO said...

I think this is perfect as it stands. Moreover, I think it eloquently reflects what many, many artists feel.
It's tough to battle the lifelong war with low self esteem. And even tougher to learn to trust when so much of the battle was spent building barriers.
A beautiful poem, well written.

Ronald said...

MM Thanks, and "wrestle" is the operative word; it sometimes feels like I've grappled with a super-heavyweight sumo wrestler for a few rounds :-)

PAMO You're so encouraging, I'm thinking of hiring you as my number one commentor... how much do you charge? :-)

Michelle said...

Well.. I thought it was cute :)

You're so clever.

Ronald said...

Michelle It wasn't meant to be cute, it's supposed to be serious. Me clever? No, not at all. I just dared to do it. :-)

PAMO said...

Comments are absolutely free. I enjoy encouraging writers... and I think most bloggers are writers. You happen to be one of the better writers. You and M.M. inspire me every time you post.