Monday, 6 September 2010

Safaris I know (that's a pun)

Autumn is here. How do I know? Because of the sudden appearance of golden leaves on the streets and gardens? Nope. Because morning temperatures are suddenly cooler, bringing a chill into the air and condensation onto the windows? Nope. Because it's September? Nope. I know because I'm alone.


My ex-partner/room-mate/friend/the bint who lives in the same house (call her what you will) is once again, and at the same time of year, off to exotic climes. This time she's paying a return visit to Kenya, to witness and weep at the awe-inspiring spectacle of wild-buffalo herds marching en-masse to the watering hole; to marvel at the elegance and beauty of doe-eyed giraffes feeding amongst the trees; to tremble with fear and humility at the power displayed by the hunting lion; and of course, to enjoy the apr├Ęs-safari (safaris equivalent to golf's nineteenth hole). Put those dusty digital cameras down, unburden yourselves of those weighty picnic bags gals, and get it down your neck! Ahem... I digress...


So... I'm alone. Almost. The aforementioned other occupant of of the house has kindly left me with her son. It's a long story and not one for public dissemination, so suffice it to say, he's here under sufferance...


Well, the weekend went well, with my first run cum walk, brief, lasting twenty minutes only, but that was according to plan. I'm experienced enough to know overdoing such strenuous exercise ends easily in grief, if only via the lowering of one's immune system, resulting in the catching of whatever is available. Still, I felt great. As my heart-beat reached training-rate, I began to sweat, and my heart pounded in my ears, and for brief moments it felt like the old days. I was empowered.. nay, t'was better than that, I was pumped! This carried through to the following day, which found me so restless, I had to do something, and what better than horse-riding? Yes... once again, after so many years, I found myself mounted! Action man or what?


Back to earth with a kerthwump! Today, the curse struck again - that old devil migraine... that was my planned second run up the Swanee! So here I am, alone and discontent. The Internet doesn't do it for me anymore. I've developed an itch that needs to be scratched, and scratch it I will.


I've another holiday planned, my last of the year. The autumn will improve, I'm sure...



7 comments:

Sari said...

I'm so pleased that you felt so good after the first run. Pesky migraine ruining the second one. I'll keep my fingers crossed you get to run soon again.

And horse riding too, that's so brilliant. I can just see you riding like Robert Redford in 'the Horse Whisperer'. That's about right, isn't it?

Hey you'll have to explain the pun. Me foreign, no understand.

Ronald said...

Thanks Sari, in actual fact, I've actually improved my rising-trot! The pun? Really? S'easy, so far as I know... get it? Safaris I know? :-)

Sari said...

Doh! As well as foreign, I'm also a blonde ;)

Michelle said...

Well.. I hope it gets better. These migrane things sure sound pesky.. I hope they leave you alone already.. soon. Horse riding sounds like a fine way to spend your time.. though.. what about those new shoes you got? You gonna make use of them and go for a trot yourself?

Ronald said...

Thanks Michelle. But the trot? I'm sure I mention it somewhere in the post. T'was only a brief effort, but that was intentional. I'm able to suppress my insistent macho urges towards going eyeballs out, for as fast and as long as I can. My next trot is planned for tomorrow evening :-)

Michelle said...

Ok.. sorry for skimming over it.. very disrespectful..

well.. do it when you do it.. no pressure..

none at all..

Ronald said...

Yes, very disrespectful! You bad girl! Grin.